About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

French Toast


I love breakfast.  I thought I was done sharing all of our breakfast staples, what with the waffles, the pancakes, strawberry syrup, biscuits and chocolate gravy, and breakfast pancake..... can you tell we have no good breakfast joints nearby?

What makes this recipe special is the flour in the batter.  It gives this lovely crust on the french toast, made slightly sweet by the sugar- you can easily eat them without any syrup and feel indulged.   It's the perfect use for getting stale bread.  It's a cooks illustrated recipe, so you know it's going to be good!

French Toast
adapted from The Best Recipe

Ingredients
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter with extra for frying
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4-5 slices day old bread 3/4 inch thick, or 6-8 slices sandwich bread

Melt butter on 50% power in microwave.  Add remaining ingredients, starting with milk (NOT EGG).  Whisk until smooth.  Soak each slice of bread for 30-40 second before frying.  Spray skillet with butter spray prior to placing bread in and prior to flipping.  Fry until golden brown.  Top with fresh fruit, syrup, strawberry syrup, or powdered sugar.  

3 comments:

  1. I just made french toast casserole, but will try this one next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... There's no sugar in the ingredient list?

    ReplyDelete