About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Lemon-Blueberry Coconut Muffins


The breakfast recipes never end.  The lemon zest and extra coconut are my additions, and if I do say so myself, they definitely improve the recipe.  The lemon really brightens the flavor.  I have no idea how I grew up never eating coconut, and now loving it, but there you have it!!!  These come together ery quickly.   You can toast the coconut the night before (350 for 7-8 minutes), and stir into the dry ingredients in a covered bowl.  In the morning preheat the oven, add the wet ingredients, and make the coffee.


Lemon Blueberry Coconut Muffins
Adapted from Food52

SERVES 1 DOZEN LARGE MUFFINS
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 cup coconut, toasted
1/2 cup coconut, untoasted
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup milk
1-1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
Grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
Sift together the 2 cups flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Stir in toasted coconut, plain coconut, and lemon zest.
Combine egg, melted butter and milk. Add to dry ingredients and mix lightly till combined.
Toss blueberries with 1 T flour. This prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins, and also helps the frozen blueberries from streaking. Fold into batter.
Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees F for 17-20 minutes (about 20-22 minutes if using frozen blueberries) or till they test done.
Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and finish cooling on a rack.




No comments:

Post a Comment