About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Southern-Style White Gravy



This is a staple in some parts of the country, but it was a mystery for me!!  When my husband first told me he loved biscuits and gravy, I pictured a chicken stock based gravy and was kind of repulsed.  I'm pretty sure this was one of the first meals my mother-in-law served me, and it's fantastic.  The gravy is peppery with just the right amount of salt.  Since it's only 4 tablespoons of butter, it doesn't really matter if you used salted or unsalted (salted adds about 1/8 teaspoon salt).  It took me a long time to figure out the proportions of the gravy, but I finally got it right.  You could also serve this with fried chicken or pan fried pork chops.


Southern-Style White Gravy
Adapted from my mother-in-law

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons)  butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (about 50 grinds)

Melt butter, and add flour to make a roux.  Cook about 1 minute, then whisk in milk.  Add salt and pepper.  Cook until thickened (about 7-10 minutes), whisking often, and the whisk makes ribbons in the gravy.  Serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment