About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Breakfast Pancake


So we had this all the time growing up!!!  Or rather, every time we had it, it was very memorable.  This is ridiculously simple, but absolutely delicious.  Little puddles of butter get on top of the "pancake" (translate- scrambled eggs and flour's love child) and then absorb the powdered sugar to become a little bit of yum on this otherwise savory eggy creation.  Make no mistake- this is a sweet and not healthy.   It's best served sliced like a pie in wedges as an accent to some fresh fruit or something else to purge yourself of the decadence.  My mom always used to marvel at the variability- sometime it would puff up dramatically, and other times would be virtually flat- it's never the same shape twice.

I was thrilled to see this was in a cookbook other than the Boston Museum of Fine Arts' cookbook- it's too good to be secret!






david eyre's pancake-- Known in my house as BREAKFAST PANCAKE


Originally adapted by my mom from the Fine Arts Cookbook, 1967 edition

adapted from Amanda Hesser's Essential New York Times Cookbook as seen in Daily Salt

serves 2 to 4

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons salted butter (I like the salted butter especially well)
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar

juice of 1/2 lemon (optional, I never used that, but I like the thought)

Heat the oven to 425F. Combine flour, milk, and eggs in bowl.  Beat lightly.  Batter will be lumpy - do not overmix.

Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet with a heat-proof handle. When it is very hot, pour in the batter.  Bake for 15-20 min, until pancake is golden brown.

Sprinkle with sugar. Sprinkle with lemon juice if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment