About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Panko Crusted Salmon



Well, you'll just have to forgive me for not getting a good picture of these cooked.  I didn't, and they were eaten without any leftovers before I could possibly manage to fix it!  This has the absolute potential to become a regular.  I made an emeril recipe back before we were married that we used all the time that also featured mustard, but this one is 100% better.  I love the lemon zest with the bread crumbs- it gives a nice lemon flavor throughout.    It's very easy and fast, with no special ingredients, which makes it perfect for nights after work.   The mustard is very subtle- don't be scared off!

I have had not desire to get Ina's new cookbook, but with this recipe, I may have to reconsider!!

Panko-Crusted Salmon
Adapted from Annie's Eats, originally from How Easy is That?

Ingredients:
2/3 cup panko (I food processored a homemade roll and toasted it in a saucepan)
2 tbsp. finely minced fresh parsley
1 tsp. lemon zest
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
3-4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
4 (6-8 oz.) salmon fillets, skin on (wild sockeye if you can get it)
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.  In a small bowl, combine the panko, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper.  Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and toss with a fork until the crumbs are evenly coated; set aside.

Place the salmon fillets skin side down.  Brush the top of each fillet with the mustard and then season with salt and pepper.  Press the panko mixture thickly on top of the mustard on each fillet to help the panko adhere.

Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch oven-safe skillet.  When the oil is hot, add the salmon fillets, skin side down, and sear for 3-4 minutes without turning to brown the skin. You remove the skin, so don't worry about this step- this is oil you won't eat!!

Transfer the pan to the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes, until the salmon is almost cooked through and the panko is browned.  Remove from the oven, cover with foil and let rest 5-10 minutes.  Serve warm with fresh lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment