About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Favorite Cornbread


Growing up in the northeast, cornbread wasn't exactly what you would call a staple in my childhood home.  For my husband, it was!  Every year they would have cornbread dressing at holidays.  I never really had a recipe that made cornbread noticeable, until this one.  I made it first at Christmas.  I was determined to make the end all, be all cornbread dressing, which involved sage (of course), shredded chicken breast, and sausage.   Well, the ground sausage was a mistake- it totally overpowered the rest of the dressing.  But this recipe was a hit.  In fact, I had to keep my husband's hands out of it so it didn't all disappear.  (and maybe my own....maybe)  I made it again for dinner tonight and I was very pleased, although I do prefer bread to muffins.  The salt is a little prominent, so if you're a salt-o-phobe, decrease it to 1 teaspoon.

Cornbread (muffins)
Adapted from Martha Stewart 

Ingredients
6 tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal (this will be about 9 ounces)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 6 3/4 ounces or spooned and leveled
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
3 large eggs
2 1/2 cups low-fat or fat free buttermilk

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or butter it.

In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Stir cornmeal mixture into buttermilk mixture just until moistened. 

Scoop into muffin tin with a #16 muffin scoop for even muffin sizes and even cooking.  Bake 10-13 minutes depending on how generous your scoop was.



To make as cornbread: drop temp to 425F.
Brush bottom and sides of a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with 2 tablespoons butter.  Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan at least 15 minutes before inverting and slicing.


No comments:

Post a Comment