About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Tangy Apple-Cabbage Slaw

So for this recipe, I was in a major, major, major rush.  As you can see, as I was snapping the slaw photo, there was a small person about to sabotage my macintosh.   (only because she wanted to hear Carrie Underwood again)  I didn't see the apple skin was supposed to stay on.  Texturally, I liked it off.  Visually, I'd like it on.  I also liked that without skin, the apple blended in with the cabbage and you never knew which bite would surprise you with sweet-tart apple.  We will definitely make this again, especially because it's nice to mix up which vegetables we eat.  The dressing is sweet with some mild heat from the red pepper, but nothing more than a pleasant zing.  The cabbage is crunchy and filling.  Overall, a good pick!

Tangy Apple-Cabbage Slaw
adapted from Confessions of a Foodie Bride who adapted from Cooks Country
Makes: A LOT o' slaw

Ingredients
1 medium head green cabbage , cored and finely sliced
1 Tbsp salt
2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin matchsticks (I used Granny Smiths)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Instructions
Toss cabbage and salt in colander set in the sink. Let stand until wilted.  (This may take an hour, however, I cheated and did about 20 minutes.)
Rinse cabbage under cold water, drain, salad spin, dry well with paper towels, and transfer to large bowl.
Add apples and green onions, tossing to combine.
Heat oils, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and red pepper until hot in saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
Cover with plastic and refrigerate until cold. Store leftovers in the fridge (the coleslaw should be crisp for about 3 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment