About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Garlicky Bread Crumb Coated Broccoli


This broccoli has been making it around, especially on French Fridays with Dorie.  I know the participating bloggers are not posting recipes from that cookbook, but I went ahead and posted it since I found one version of it by DG on Epicurious, so it can't be a too closely guarded secret.  I already knew the lemon would be a good addition since Ina taught me that- it's very subtle.  I think the bread crumb amount could be reduced, but then again I halved the recipe and only used one stalk, so it's probably just fine as it is.  We really enjoyed it!  The broccoli was tender but not mushy, and just started to get caramelized in the pan.  The breadcrumbs were decidedly garlic and had a nice crunch.  I'll definitely be making this again.

Garlicky Bread Bread Crumb Coated Broccoli
adapted from Dorie Greenspan on Epicurious, and apparently featured in Around my French Table

Ingredients
3 large broccoli stalks (about 1 1/2 pounds total), stalks trimmed to 4 to 5 inches long, each stalk halved lengthwise
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
3 small garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh panko
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or parsley
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

Directions:
Steam broccoli until tender, about 9 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. This can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté until soft, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add breadcrumbs, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until pale golden, stirring often, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in parsley and lemon zest.
Add broccoli to breadcrumbs and sauté until heated through, turning broccoli to coat, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumbs over and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment