About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Homemade Granola



What don't I love about the BAKED cookbook?  This page is already canola oil and honey spotted.  I love this granola, and am excited to try variations, but I haven't gotten sick of the original!  I am itching to try a pumpkin variation, cinnamon, and maybe even an espresso version!  But each time I stick to the original, because it's so reliably delicious.  It's nothing like store bought granola- it's chewy, crispy, and wholesome.   I did not have raisins or cherries, so I used figs and cranberries.  Good, but I adore the raisin-cherry version.  This granola is very, very adaptable, so feel free to make it your own.  I love it with plain greek style yogurt in the morning.  It would also be great with milk, plain, or layered with yogurt and fresh fruit parfait-style.


Homemade Granola
barely adapted Baked: New Frontiers in Baking

Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon salt**
1 teaspoon cinnamon (good with, or without!)
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole or chopped almonds
1/3 cup whole or chopped hazelnuts
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup dried cherries

** Diamond Kosher salt, not Morton.  When I made it with morton, it was noticeably too salty.  Thanks, Deb, for explaining why!

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, brown sugar, salt,  and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.

Add the oats into the honey mixture and combine by repeatedly making fists, or toss with a spatula, depending on your tolerance for hand gunk.

Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture.  Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola.  Sprinkle with nuts.   Bake for 15 more minutes.  Let cool completely. Sprinkle the raisins and cherries over the granola.  This will stay fresh for one week in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment