About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Homemade Bread and Butter pickles


This recipe is from my friend Corinne.  Thrown together as suitemates first year of college, we've been through a lot together!! Amazingly, or lives have converged rather than diverged over the years.  She makes these with cucumbers fresh from her garden.  My favorite thing about them is that they are not boiled, so they stay exceptionally crisp.  They are sweet, a little salty, and fresh.

Homemade Bread and Butter pickles
Adapted from Corinne

Ingredients

2 cups cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 tbsp mustard seed
2 tbsp celery seed
2 tbsp salt
1 sweet onion, thinly and evenly sliced
2 lbs pickling cucumbers, evenly sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced in thirds

Boil first ingredients through salt until dissolved.  Pour over cucumbers and cool.  These are best 2 days after you make them, and keep for at least 2 weeks in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment