About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pork Carnitas

There was a time during making this dish that I had serious reservations. During the simmer in liquid phase, it looks....nasty.  No mincing words.  As in, did I just ruin 6 lbs of pork??   As you can see from the final resulting filthy pan, I need not have worried.  This is the way I will make pulled pork forevermore.   The crispy edges are fantastic, and the flavor is not noticeably citrus.  It's just amazingly good.  And I also love how they fry up in the same pot in the rendered fat, not in an intentional way, but more in a "oh I forgot about you, now how did this happen?" kind of way.Pork Carnitas, Homesick TexanAdapted from Smitten Kitchen6 pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork butt, cut into 2-inch cubes1 1/2 cup orange juice1/2 cup lime juice 8 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed2 teaspoons ground cumin2 teaspoons Kosher salt, plus more to tastePlace the pork in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot. Add the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt and enough water to just \cover the meat. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for two hours. Don’t stir.After two hours, increase the heat to medium-high and while occasionally stirring and turning the pieces, continue to cook for about 45 minutes, or until all of the liquid has evaporated, leaving only the rendered pork fat. Let it sizzle in this fat long enough to brown at the edges, turning pieces gently, only as needed.  I love that this also shreds the meat, leaving none of that messy tedious pulling.
When pork has browned on both sides, it’s ready. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve as you will.






No comments:

Post a Comment