About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Mississippi Mud


post updated on 9.28.2012 to put a new picture and to add link for homemade marshmallow topping.


OK, so I have requested this recipe a number of times from someone, to no avail.  So she forced me into it. I had to recreate it.

Better than hers.

Sometimes the gloves gotta come off.  Enter this "cake."

The cake is well hydrated (ahem, ahem, L, you better let me know I'm doing this for some reason....), and the pecans are a great twist.  I can't really say where this recipe came from, I made it based on recipes from all over the web, taking some from all.  But credit is probably due here, here, and here.

For some reason all these recipes use marshmallow creme, which results in a huge mess and displaced fluff.  I have adapted the recipe to let the cake melt actual marshmallows, which will then firm up.  To make homemade marshmallows is actually easy, quick, and noticeably yummier.

Ingredients

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup special dark cocoa
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup crushed pecans (or hazelnuts!!)


Cream together butter, sugar, and cocoa.  Add 4 eggs and beat.  Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and add to wet batter.  Stir in crushed pecans.

Pour into a 13 x 9 pan, and bake at 350 degree for 30 minutes.  While cake is hot, sprinkle 10 oz of mini marshmallows over the cake.  They will melt in a gooey layer.  If using homemade marshmallows,  spread on cake after whipped and thickened.   Let cool thoroughly.  Once cool, ice.


Fudge Icing
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup special dark cocoa powder
1 lb powdered sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla

Stir together and frost the marshmallow topped cake.  Slice like brownies but in thin slivers.  Chill is desired.  

1 comment:

  1. Moist, moist, moist. I can attest this cake is seriously MOIST. Lissa, that's for you.

    ReplyDelete