About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Green Bean Bundles


I usually scorn vegetables with meat.  I have been known to turn my nose up at green beans boiled with salt pork or ham.  So my husband was pretty shocked when I made this.

To be fair, I like it better without the bacon.
The brown sugar-mustard marinade is delicious, although I have to say I think I prefer it NOT marinated overnight.  The sauce seems to stick on better that way, since it's still liquid and not congealed.  Appetizing word, congealed.

Anyway, make these either way.  I also recommend haricot vert instead of green beans.  Saves all the trimming!  And time saving is a good thing...

Green Bean Bundles
adapted from The Pastry Queen Christmas, by Rebecca Rather via Pink Parsley

1 1/2 lbs haricot vert
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces of bacon, each piece cut in half width-wise

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat, and blanch the beans 3-4 minutes, or until they are bright green in color and pliable but still very crunchy.  Drain and run them under cold water. or plunge into an ice bath  Pat dry with a paper towel.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the garlic, mustard, salt, and brown sugar.  Pour the mixture over the green beans, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.  I sometimes skip this part, and just assemble.

Preheat the oven to 375.  Gather 8-9 beans at a time and make bundles.  Wrap with a slice of the (halved) bacon, and lie seam-side down in a greased baking sheet or casserole dish.  Pour remaining marinade over the top.

Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked through and the beans look wrinkled.  Cook under the broiler for an additional 1-2 minutes to crisp the bacon even more, if you like.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment