About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gingersnaps



My grandfather was not exactly a warm fuzzy guy, like few men of his generation were.  I remember 3 things clearly about him besides his gruff tone: his love of seven and seven's, andes candies, and gingersnaps.  The warmest moment in my memory is when I made him gingersnaps.  He was thrilled, and they were delicious!

These are equally good.  I whipped up these babies to crumble them into the bottom of pumpkin pie, and to save them for the upcoming santa plate!



Gingersnaps
Adapted from David Leibovitz Ready for Dessert


ingredients
3 cups (15 oz)  all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 t g cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, room temp
granulated sugar, for coating the cookies

In a medium bowl, combine flour through ground cloves and whisk until mixed well.

In a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar, mixing on medium until smooth. mix in molasses and vanilla, then add eggs one at a time, until thoroughly incorporated. add flour mixture and mix until completed combined.

divide the dough tablespoon scoop sized pieces, roll in sugar, chill.

preheat oven to 350 F.   Place the other side down on a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet. Bake for ~9-10 minutes.  Remove, let cool for a few minutes, and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment