About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Spicy Red Pepper Sauce


I had almost forgotten about this sauce.  When we lived in New Orleans, this sauce was one of the things that kept us coming back to a great little pizza joint not far from home.   I know New Orleans has finer cuisine than this---- believe me, we've had our share--- but when we went back to New Orleans (for the first time in 10 years), this was on the list.  Besides the fact that we ate there a lot in our early days of courting, they have fantastic salads, awesome pizza, and this killer focaccia bread sauce.   It's got quite a bit of heat and a great roasted red pepper flavor.  I had to recreate it once we came back home!

I'm happy to say, this sauce was pronounced "spot on" by both of us, and it got eaten disproportionately from the tomato sauce I had next to it at a lunch time party.  I can't wait to make it again!


Spicy Red Pepper Sauce
inspired by Reginelli's, but made up by me

15 oz roasted red peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (50 grinds)
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup tomato sauce (I used tomato sauce with onion and butter)

Saute garlic in olive oil until lightly golden.  Add crushed red pepper and saute about 2 minutes until pepper infuses oil.  Add drained roasted red peppers, salt, oregano, pepper, tomato sauce.  Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until flavors marry.  Blend at some point with immersion blender or prior to adding until sauce is fairly smooth.

Serve with pasta, or bread sticks, or on pizza.  If with pizza consider goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes, and carmelized onions- Sun Pie style.....

No comments:

Post a Comment