About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Carmelized Onion and Chipotle Beef Tacos



Wow.  I am so impressed by this meal.  These tacos were simple and absolutely delicious.  Probably this has something to do with my adoration for goat cheese, but I could eat these every night for a week before moving on to something new.  Don't be fooled by the few ingredients, it's loaded with flavor.  We plan to try it with chicken, and with grilling the beef to make it a little better for us.  But it will definitely appear again.

note: I buy canned chipotles in adobe and then store them in the fridge in tupperware.  I usually use them within 8 weeks, and it hasn't killed me yet.

Carmelized onion and Beef Tacos
Adapted from Elly says Opa who adapted from Rick Bayless


4-5 chipotles in adobo
1 lb. skirt or flank steak
3 Tbsp. canola, divided
2 medium onions, sliced 1/4″ thick
12 warm corn tortillas
sea salt
goat cheese

Puree the chipotles in a small food processor until smooth.  Marinate for an 2 hours to overnight in the fridge.
I placed the whole thing in a zip top and smeared the chipotles on through the safety of plastic.

Heat an oven or warming drawer on low heat (200F).  Wrap the tortilla in aluminum foil and stick them in the oven.

Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and cook  until carmelized.  Carmelizing them takes me 20-30 minutes, but apparently Elly and Rick can do this in 5 minutes.  Transfer to a heat-proof bowl and set in the heated oven.

Return the skillet to medium-high heat, and add the remaining Tbsp. of oil.  Once hot, lay in the steak, and cook until it’s done to your liking (3 minutes per side for medium-rare skirt steak, 5 minutes per side for medium-rare flank steak).  Let the meat rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing against the grain.

Toss the meat with the onions, and season to taste with 1 teaspoon salt.

Serve with the warmed tortillas, goat cheese, and salsa.



No comments:

Post a Comment