About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies


My husband waxes poetic about these cookies.  For years I wondered about what these mysterious "chocolate oatmeal" cookies were, made by his grandmother, and I lamented the loss of this secret family heirloom recipe.  At some point he mentioned they were no bake.  At this point I realized I had made these exact cookies in home ec class circa 1987.  Well, that was a happy, if somewhat anticlimactic moment.

I want the Baked boys to take these on and "style 'em up some, merchandise 'em up with some shoes" (movie- anyone?  anyone? SJP in SATC the movie).  I have to say my attempt to do this with espresso powder was worthless, so I omitted it from this recipe.  There are tasty and quick, just the thing to make the kids think you are magic.

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Food Network


Ingredients
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups oatmeal

Directions
In a heavy saucepan bring to a boil, the sugar, cocoa, butter,  and milk. Let boil for 1 minute then add peanut butter, vanilla and oatmeal. On a sheet of waxed paper or parchment, drop mixture by the teaspoonfuls, until cooled and hardened.

No comments:

Post a Comment