About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Minny's Chocolate Pie


I don't know if you've read The Help, but if not, I highly suggest it.  And if you have, surely you are wondering why in the heck I ever did a google search for the recipe for Minny's chocolate pie.  But, I did.  And I'm not sorry.  LeeAnn Fleming made 55 chocolate pies and settled on this recipe for the highly regarded Minny's representation.

Now, you know I also adore my mother-in-law's chocolate pie, but I wanted to try to make one I could call my own.  Different, but still yummy.  This one is very rich and delicious!

Adapted from LeeAnn Fleming


1 pie dough crust (I use this one)

1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Whipped cream, for serving, or make Mile High Meringue

Preheat the oven to 350°. Ease the pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges decoratively. Prick the crust lightly with a fork. Line the crust with foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Remove the foil and weights and bake for about 5 minutes longer, just until the crust is dry but not browned.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the sugar with the cocoa powder, butter, eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla and salt until smooth.

Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake for about 45 minutes, until the filling is set around the edges but a little wiggly in the center. Cover the crust with strips of foil halfway through baking.

Transfer the pie to a rack and let cool completely before cutting into wedges. Serve with whipped cream.

The chocolate pie can - and should- be refrigerated overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment