About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Robert's best brownie


I made these for the students I lecture to.  (clearly, I am not lecturing on grammar).  I whipped them up at 6:30 am in about 5 minutes, baked them, then brought them in the pan to let them cool.

I never got to eat one.  They were gone too fast.  But let me tell you, from the knife crumbs, these are fudgy and well hydrated (for you, L) and they are the darn near perfect brownie.  David Leibovitz.  How could you go wrong there?

Robert’s Absolute Best Brownies Recipe
Adapted from Ready For Dessert

6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted or salted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped if you like em


optional add in: 1/3 cup dried cherries

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).

2. Line the inside of an 8-inch square pan with a single large sheet of extra wide foil or parchment paper. Lightly butter the parchment.

3. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the chocolate and stir by hand until it is melted and smooth.

4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar and vanilla until combined. Beat in the eggs by hand, 1 at a time. Add the flour and stir energetically for 1 full minute—time yourself—until the batter loses its graininess, becomes smooth and glossy, and pulls away a bit from the sides of the saucepan. Stir in the chopped nuts is using (blech.).

5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the center feels almost set, about 30 minutes. Do not overbake.

5. Let the brownie cool completely in the pan before lifting the foil or parchment and the block of brownie out of the pan. Cut the brownie into squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment