About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Boston Baked Beans



This recipe is exactly what you expect.  Sweet, comforting, but also savory.  We used to eat these with hot dogs for dinner.  It was my dad's favorite meal.  Believe it or not, it's a surprisingly good combination.  I don't think they were homemade, but they were doctored up enough to be called my mom's own!  Anyway, homemade or not, these homemade beans taste exactly like my mom's.

Boston Baked Beans
Adapted from cooks illustrated

6 ounces bacon cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon mild molasses
1 1/2 tablespoons brown mustard
2 cans white beans (cannelini)
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Ground black pepper

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 300 degrees. Add bacon to 8-quart Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and most fat is rendered, about 7 minutes. Add onion and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Add 1/2 cup molasses, mustard, beans, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 9 cups water; increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Cover pot and set in oven. Bake until beans are tender, about 4 hours, stirring once after 2 hours. Remove lid and continue to bake until liquid has thickened to syrupy consistency, 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer. Remove beans from oven; stir in remaining tablespoon of molasses, vinegar, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment