About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sausage Balls


I had these first at my in laws house.  I used to think I didn't like pork.  However, this myth was quickly dispelled once I tried these things.  They taste exactly like  a biscuit and breakfast had a love child.  Covered with cheese.  They are addictive!  I had to google a recipe because the first time I made them, I missed the part where my mother in law told me they had bisquick, and it was pitiful.  Melted cheese on the cookie sheet.

So once I got the basic components, I didn't want to leave the proportions to chance!  This recipe really delivers.


Sausage Balls
Adapted from Ezra Pound Cake

1 lb ground country pork sausage, mild
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups bisquick
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, using a fork or your fingers, mix the room temperature cheese, sausage and Bisquick until just combined. Place the mixture into a food processor and pulse a few times, until the mixture completely comes together. Then, transfer the mixture back into the original bowl, add the black pepper and cayenne, and mix one final time with your fingers.
Divide the mixture into 1-inch balls (using a small ice cream scoop or your hands), rolling the mixture between the palms of your hands.
Place the balls on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment