About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Carrot Spice Muffins


What does the Easter bunny like for breakfast?

Carrot spice muffins, of course.  At least my muffin dragons do.  I love the combination of carrot and coconut.  For you who don't like coconut, I can't help you.

I'm sure they'd be fine without.  Maybe add more walnuts.  Same thing with the raisins!  I love all of the above, although I insist on pulverizing my nuts so they are a flavor but not a texture.  Anyway, Dorie is always foolproof.  These are less sweet (by far) than carrot cake, although I'm tempted to put a little cream cheese mixed with sugar inside before baking next time!

Carrot Spice Muffins
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan via Annie's Eats
makes 15 muffins


1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup shredded carrot (I use the food processor.)
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup raisins (I used baking raisins)
1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, pulverized to a fine meal

Preheat the oven to 375 F.  Spray  a muffin pan with baker's joy.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt.  Whisk together to combine, and set aside.   With a whisk, combine the sugar, brown sugar and canola oil.  Mix until smooth.  Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.  Add in the dry ingredients in two additions, alternately with the milk, mixing each addition just until incorporated.  Mix in the shredded carrot.  Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the coconut, raisins, and nuts.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until the top spring back.  Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool further.

No comments:

Post a Comment