About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Egg in a Hole


Ok, this is more technique than recipe.  We had a similar dish at John Folse's Bittersweet, where we spent our first anniversary night.  Or rather, Brian did.  I spent the night having thrown up, so the morning left me unable to eat what was undoubtedly a delicious breakfast.  This was served by Bittersweet, and when I saw it, I knew we had to do it at home.  I usually make this with a football cookie cutter, but I'm going to have to break out the mickey mouse cutter!

Egg in a Hole
Adapted from Pioneer Woman


1 slice Of Your Favorite Kind Of Bread
1 Tablespoon Butter, or butter spray.
1 whole Egg
Salt To Taste
Pepper To Taste

With a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass, press a hole in the center of the slice of bread.
Next, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and melt a Tablespoon of butter in it. When the butter is all spread out, place the piece of bread in the skillet and crack the egg straight into the center of hole.
Cook for at least 30 seconds or so before attempting to move the bread. Sprinkle the egg with salt and pepper to taste. After about a minute, flip it over with a spatula and salt and pepper the other side.

Let it cook until the yolk feels, to the touch, still soft without feeling over-jiggly. You are aiming for golden brown toast, white  whites, and a soft unbroken yolk.



1 comment:

  1. This is a staple in k's family. They call it chicken in a coop.

    ReplyDelete