About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup


We use a lot of chocolate syrup.  Although I am pretty sure any sugar you use is not so fabulous, somehow I feel better when it's not filled with high fructose corn syrup.  This homemade syrup fits the bill, and packs a good chocolate punch!


Homemade Chocolate Syrup
Adapted from Annie's Eats

1¼ cups sugar
1 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1 cup water
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cocoa powder and whisk briefly to break up chunks of cocoa.  Stir in the water and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.  Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer until slightly thickened, about 5-7 minutes.  Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.  Stir in the vanilla.  Store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment