About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies


I am so happy to have mastered this recipe.  I originally made the sugarbelle recipe, but honestly, it drove me crazy.  There was no definite word on how much flour to use, so whenever I made it the potential was there, but it was too dry. Too hard to roll.  

That's the reason why I like baking- you can find recipes that are reliable, and when you weigh your ingredients, they never come out wrong.   Sadly, I just don't have the "feel" that experienced cookiers do to know when to lay off the flour, so I have no doubt it was my failure, not Sugarbelle's.  But I had to do something to the sugarbelle recipe to make it foolproof for me.

LilaLoa's chocolate cookie recipe is amazing, and last night before bed it hit me- just adapt that one into chocolate chip!  So today, I did, and it was perfect.  Perfect.  

Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies
A suppers at sunset original, inspired by Sugarbelle and LilaLoa

2 sticks unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup light brown sugar (162 gm, 5 3/4 oz)
3/4 cup sugar (163 gm, 5 3/4 oz)
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
seeds from 1 vanilla bean
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp baking powder
3 2/3 cups to 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour (505 gm if refrigerating, 575gm if using immediately)
2 cups (12 oz, 1 package) mini semisweet chocolate chips.

Cream together butter, shortening, and the sugars.  Add eggs, vanilla, vanilla bean seeds, and beat to combine.   Add flour and baking powder, beat to combine.   If you are going to refrigerate and use another day, use the lower amount of flour.  Stir in chips.  Do not beat in chips- as you cut these, you will get fragments of chip in the dough with re-rolling, so having them intact is a good thing.  

Heat oven to 375 F.   Roll 3/8" thick and cut as desired.  Because of the chips, small pieces to decoration are tough to get out intact (my T Rex cutter was a no go.)  But otherwise, there's no spreading.  Bake for 6/12 minutes, and remove from oven and let them cool on the sheet.  Do not overbake.  Top with chocolate royal icing.  






No comments:

Post a Comment