About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup


My husband came home from a visit with his brother several years ago raving about this soup.  I have to admit, when I saw the canned tomato soup, I was skeptical, but there was no need to be.  It's a really flavorful soup that can be adapted to suit you- we added a fresh jalapeno, cilantro, and black beans, but you could omit any of those.  You could definitely substitute more veggies for the chicken and add vegetable stock to make it meatless.

It's also pretty guilt free!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from my sister-in-law


3 boneless & skinless chicken breast poached or grilled, shredded
1 small onion
1 large diced jalapeno
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 can beef broth
1 can chicken broth
1 can black beans
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili poweder
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Mix all ingredients in large pot and simmer for one hour.  Add cheese to each individual bowl, along with chips and chopped cilantro.  Cut tortilla (flour or corn) and toast for the chips for 7-10 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment