About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Chocolate Sorbet


I took Dorie to bed with me last night.  Not an unusual activity.  I have been dying to buy The Perfect Scoop since I got it from the library last summer.  Sidenote- that's genius, by the way.  I get to try it out and decide which one I have to buy, and which one is not worth it.  Helpful when your Amazon "Save for Later" cart has about 20 cookbooks at any one time....

So anyway, I haven't gotten my act together to buy David's ice cream tome, probably Matt and Renardo's fault.  So I was looking through Dorie, and although I was dying to try the chocolate blueberry ice cream, I had the ingredients on hand.  And if you have chocolate chips in your house, so do you!  It tastes, like B said, "like frozen fudge."  Not icy.  Not watery.  Yum.  And although it's not health food, it's much healthier than chocolate ice cream!

Chocolate Sorbet
Adapted from Baking: from my home to Yours


Ingredients:

1 cup milk, any fat content  (skim!! go ahead!! it's delish!)
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp vodka

Directions:
Stir all of the ingredients together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Put the pan over medium-high heat and bring the ingredients to a boil, stirring frequently.
Lower the temperature and boil for about 5 minutes, stirring intermittently and keeping a close eye on it so it doesn’t boil over.
Pour mixture into a heatproof bowl and refrigerate until chilled.  Add vodka if you are going to freeze for more than 24 hours to keep it from getting too hard.  (recipe makes about 4 bowls, so you may not have leftovers!)

Scrape the chilled sorbet mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn according to your machine's quirks. Pack the sorbet into a container and freeze for at least 2 hours, until it is firm enough to scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment