About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Banana Muffins or Banana Bread



My godmother always made banana bread, and I loved it.  Her version had nuts, which was my only complaint.  I like my banana bread un-interruptedly smooth.  I never knew how to make really good banana bread myself until college.  I have had this recipe memorized since college- there was no way I was forgetting it! It's from my college roommate L.  I had other college roomates, but she and I are still very close, and therefore the only roommate I ever mean when I say that word.  L's mom gave her this recipe. 

L lost her mom way too young for both of them.  She was a special lady.  The best story I can tell about her is that she used to trim and pound thin raw chicken for L, then put it in individual bags to be frozen so L wouldn't have to touch raw chicken.  That's such a mom thing to do- to immerse yourself in raw disgusting chicken for your daughter!!!!  My mom used to do the same thing for me in horse *&^%!.  But that's another story.

The bananas have to be really brown spotted, but not rotten.  Unripe bananas are worthless, so don't even try!  I made this the other morning before I left for work, so the banana bread was just ready as B and the kids came downstairs....it's a mom thing to do, and I dare say Mrs. M would be glad.


Banana bread
Adapted not at all from L's mom

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour (9 ounces)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons melted butter
4 over-ripe bananas

Directions:
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter.  Mash bananas in the bowl, and add all the other ingredients.  Spray a pan with butter spray.  Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes for muffins, and about 60-70 minutes in a standard size loaf pan for bread.  This also freezes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment