About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Granola with Coconut, Cherries, & Chocolate


When I made this, I was out of enough bar chocolate, so I had half chips.  I loved the bar chocolate bits!!!  This was a breakfast I looked forward to every morning until it was gone.  Chocolate????  For breakfast.  Sold.  It's a great combination.

Granola with Coconut, Cherries, & Chocolate
Adapted from Annie's Eats


2 cups shredded coconut (sweetened is fine)
1 1/3 cup sliced almonds
6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
6 tbsp. coconut or canola oil
1 cup honey
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 cups dried cherries
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 325˚ F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  Place a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the coconut to the pan in an even layer and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and toasted.  Transfer to a bowl and wipe out the pan.  Return the pan to the heat and add the chopped walnuts and almonds.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes.  Stir in the oats and canola or coconut oil and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the oats are lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.

Transfer the oat mixture to a large bowl and stir in the honey, cinnamon, and salt.  Spread out onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.  Bake, stirring twice, until the granola is light golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Stir in the toasted coconut and dried cherries.  Move the granola to one side of the baking sheet and press gently into a thick slab.  Let cool to room temperature.  Break the dried and cooled granola into small clusters, mix in the chopped chocolate, and store in an airtight container

No comments:

Post a Comment