About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Grilled Indian Spiced Chicken with Tomato Yogurt Sauce


So last night I had a fancy dinner, a "conclave"- I know, really????  I made this for my husband and kids.  I so did not want to go!!!  Especially because I knew this would be better than any fancy pants dinner someone else made for me.  Never mind banquet food-- *shudder*.

I had it for lunch the next day, and my suspicions were confirmed.  I'm a better chef than banquet chefs at some historic place. And, coincidentally, so now are you.  Day #2 I blended the sauce.  Much better without chunks!

Grilled Indian Spiced Chicken with Tomato-Yogurt Sauce
Adapted from Confessions of a Foodie Bride


For the chicken:

6 chicken thighs (1.5 lbs), boneless skinless
1 1/2 tsp garam masala (don't have it?   make it!)
1 tsp Salt
2 tablespoons Olive oil

For the sauce:
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
14 oz can crushed tomatoes
2-4 tsp garam masala, depending on spice love
6 oz plain non fat greek yogurt

cilantro for garnish


To make the chicken, heat grill to medium-high.
Place salt, chicken, garam masala, and olive oil in a zip top bag.  Rub it around until well distributed.

Grill 8-9 minutes divided between sides, until the fat has burned off, there's a little char, and a thermometer reads 165-170.

Remove from heat and tent loosely with foil.
To make the sauce, heat oil over medium heat.
Saute onions for ~5 minutes, until just beginning to brown.
Add garlic and stir, cooking for another minute.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomatoes and garam masala.  2 Teaspoons gives a little heat, but not overpowering.  Worked for me.  Blend with immersion blender if desired.

Stir occasionally and heat through, and then add yogurt.

Cook only until heated through and remove from heat to avoid breakage of sauce.

Spoon sauce over chicken; serve with rice or naan.  Garnish with Cilantro or parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment