About Me

My photo
I am working mom who loves to cook and bake. I hope to keep track of recipes and share some of my better ones. In the process, hopefully my photography and cooking will get better and better!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pomodoro (red) Sauce


So this recipe blurred past me on my  facebook feed.  I was attracted to it because it sounded like how I already make marinara sauce, but with a few refinements.  I loved my mom's sauce growing up- probably something to do with the sugar she put in- man, was it tasty!  She doesn't make it that way anymore, either.  My version is sugar-less, with lots of basil, and a great consistency.  The olive oil addition, combined with the immersion blending, basically makes a scrumptious tomato and olive oil emulsion- not a bad thing at all.

Pomodoro Sauce
Adapted from Bon Appetit May 2011

Ingredients
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 28 oz. can peeled tomatoes
Kosher salt
3 tbsp fresh basil
12 oz. bucatini or spaghetti
2 Tbsp. cubed unsalted butter, if desired
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan or Pecorino

Preparation
Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium-low heat. Add minced onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 2-4 minutes. Add crushed red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute more. Increase heat to medium, add  tomatoes, basil, and season lightly with kosher salt.  Blend with immersion blender (it's fine to puree tomatoes first).  Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly and the flavors meld, about 20 minutes.   Off heat, add butter and cheese; toss until cheese melts. Transfer to warm bowls; serve with more cheese, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment